Posting a recent note from a 7th Grade Math Teacher prospect in response to my tales of student teaching:
My school is the same as the one you taught. I get asked all the time by my students if I have any children. Over the years I have learned its easier to tell them that I do. This year I increased the number to 13 children with 8 different baby mammas. (Of course I'm kidding, I do not have children and any baby mammas) That keeps them perplexed and amused. When asked a couple of weeks ago, a student says to me "Mr. how much child support do you pay your babies mammas" I responded I don't know like $500 a month each. His response was damn my daddy pays me $150 then a girl responds "I get $200" then another $100. I quickly stopped this conversation because I didn't want a parent phone call. Just the other day a student asked me their names but that's a whole other story.
My response:
Perhaps it is my warped sense of humor, but all that goes through my mind after reading your first paragraph is what a fantastic word problem you could make from that! Mr. has $500 of discretionary income per month. His first baby mama gets $x per month in child support. If each successive baby mama is entitled to 75% of the previous baby mama's alloted child support, how many baby mama's can Mr. afford? Of course that may get you a parent phone call as well but you'd be incorporating the new math. You could even preface it with how they'd proactively use Algebra in real life :)
Sadly, re-reading the above I've noticed it's more of an integral / calculus item.
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Love your math problem :)
ReplyDeleteI try :) Wouldn't you have looked forward to math so much more if Prof. Siegmann or Holmes set up those sort of intervals? I scoff at what diffy Q could've been. If at the time Amy Fisher's body is found, she is a chilly 68F and the smoking gun next to her has Mary Jo Buttefuco's thumbprint. At what time did Mary Jo shoot her and which meal was she likely preparing Joey as her alibi?
ReplyDelete